Lately I’ve gone on a shortening spree, cropping thrifted skirts to the appropriate length on me. Often, skirts that are tea length or maxi generally hit me somewhere below the knee to mid-calf and it’s not cute. So, I busted out the rotary cutter and raised the hemlines on these skirts to skim the tops of my knees.
- Forever 21 mint green polka dot shirt, 3x, about $11
- Hot pink jersey skirt with pockets, no tag, thrifted
- Torrid black lace bustier, 4x, additional 50 percent off clearance
- Torrid bird clasp stretch belt, 3x, additional 50 percent off clearance
- Red and black check circle skirt, no tag, thrifted
- Rain jacket, 3x, thrifted
- Navy blue tank dress with silver sequins, no tag, thrifted
- Re/Dress red teggings, one size, $20
And while I’ve been editing my thrifted skirts, I’ve also been making skirts from scratch. I made this multicolor plaid half-circle skirt from vintage fabric. A resale shop in Pilsen acquired an armoir full of vintage fabrics from a local seamstress, and I snapped up some excellent patterns.
- Torrid purple bird applique top, 2x, $5 on additional 50 percent off clearance
- Plaid skirt handmade by me
I also scored this heart-print, half-circle skirt from Domino Dollhouse during their additional 50 percent off clearance event. I paired it with a thrifted sheer white blouse with a black ribbon bow and white boots.
As summer draws near, I’ve been dreaming of days at the beach and new swimwear, of course. These retro inspired styles are from Forever 21+ and Walmart. Read more about my quest for the perfect fat grrl bikini here.
Summer in Chicago also means lots and lots of biking. I was able to spend some time on the Lake Front Trail the other day and bask in the warm glow of the beach. I absolutely adore my hot pink bike.
- Alloy gray V-neck shirt, 3x, $9.99
- Torrid black pencil skirt, size 26, additional 50 percent off clearance
I’m not really a fan of orange, but I couldn’t pass up this sherbet combination of dots on dots:
- Old Navy white with orange polka dot V-neck shirt, XXL, $10
- Target orange with white polka dot cardigan, XXL, $19.99
Follow me on Instagram for my latest raw photos from the wild.Follow @queerknowledge